[vpn-help] Windows v2.1.7 client vs. Zyxel Prestige router/security gateway

Maurizio Properzi maurizio.properzi at univaq.it
Tue Mar 15 11:18:14 CDT 2011

Problem:

The VPN client v2.1.7 fails to connect to my gateway ZYXEL Prestige P-662H-D1;
I have firmware
ZyNOS version 3.40(AGZ.9) [latest] installed. [see Gateway-info.gif]

After clicking connect, the client reports
it has connected (Phase 1 goes ok) and later receive a disconnect message
from the gateway. [see Log-client.gif]

After examining the device log, root cause seems to be [see Log-gateway.gif]
a Phase 2 ID mismatch, but I haven't found where to change it in client settings,
while other VPN clients let me to do so!!!...

Gateway VPN setting are outlined in VPN-Settings.gif.

I've read the configuration guides on Shrew website, however those documents
are mainly related to Zyxel ZyWall devices.

To Reproduce:

Connect to any ZYXEL Prestige P-662H-D1 Router/VPN gateway with integrated
ADSL2+ modem using firmware revision 3.40(AGZ.9).

VPN Client Version = 2.1.7
Windows OS Version = Windows XP SP3  + WindowsUpdate
Gateway Make/Model = ZYXEL Prestige P-662H-D1
Gateway OS Version = 3.40(AGZ.9)

LATEST INFO:
same issue with a Zyxel P-661H-D1 (less powerful device, only 2 VPN tunnels at a time)
with firmware ZyNOS 3.40(AHH.1) [latest]

Best regards
Maurizio Properzi