[vpn-help] Shrew Soft Lightweight Filter

Andrew Keys akeys at cooperkeys.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 25 13:28:42 CDT 2011

Hi Kevin

Further to my original email I've done some more research and playing around
with this.  What I have found is:

On the successfully working Samsung Netbook the Vodafone USB Broadband
Dongle created both a modem driver and a network card driver, the Shrew Soft
Lightweight Filter binds to the connection that uses the network card driver
and not the connection that uses the modem driver.

On the Dell Laptop with the built in Dell 5520 (AKA Novatel EU870D) wireless
WAN card there is only a modem driver and not a network card driver.  The
Shrew Soft Lightweight Filter does not binds to the network connection that
uses the modem driver.

I guess one question I have does Shrew in general work with modem
connections?  If not then how do I get a network card driver for Dell 5520
card?  I've done quite a bit of research on the web and have not found any
pointers on this at all.  Do you know if anyone has successfully used Shrew
with a Dell 5520 WWAN card?  If so how?

Just to reiterate my working system is:

Soft (2.1.7) VPN Client working successfully on a Samsung Netbook running
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit with a Vodafone USB dongle to my Draytek
2920Vn router.

My non working system is:

XPS M1330 running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with a Dell 5520 Wireless
Broadband adapter (again connecting to Vodafone), although I use the same
configuration as the Samsung Netbook I cannot get a connection to my Draytek
2920Vn router.

Any thoughts or pointers?

Regards

Andrew Keys