[vpn-help] Regression in Linux shrew 2.1.7 -> OpenBSD 4.8+ roadwarrior VPN

Zak Elep zak.elep at orangeandbronze.com
Wed Oct 12 11:56:32 CDT 2011

Hi!  Sorry this took long, I had to find time to reconfigure the OpenBSD
gateway.

On Monday, September 12, 2011, Kevin VPN wrote:

> From the iked.log you provided, it seems that the gateway is not responding
> the the Shrew client's request.  Is there any chance you can view the log on
> the OpenBSD gateway to see what it says about the incoming request?
>
> You could also run a packet capture on your Ubuntu box's outgoing interface
> to see if the request is even being sent out.

At the OpenBSD gateway, I get these logs from isakmpd:

    Sep 10 15:07:09 XXXX isakmpd[15168]: transport_send_messages: giving up
on exchange peer-default, no response from peer xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:60771

On a running attempt, these logs appear after every second resend attempt of
the phase1 negotiation per connection attempt.

Attached is the verbose isakmpd log from the gateway; I notice that the SA
payload gets dropped right after the phase1 negotiation.