[vpn-help] shrew VPN client dial in stuck at Phase1

tc at tc-world.de tc at tc-world.de
Wed Oct 26 07:43:44 CDT 2011

Hi Shrew VPN list,

I need your help with the VPN connect to a Netgear Firewall.

VPN Client Version:
2.1.7-release (Shrew VPN Client)

Linux or BSD OS Version:
Kubuntu 11.10 64bit (actual patched enabled)

Gateway Make/Model:
Netgear FVS338,

Gateway OS Version: ( if known)
Firmware 3.0.7-24 (newest available firmware)

I have set the rp_filter to 0
sysctl.d/10-network-security.conf:net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter=0
sysctl.d/10-network-security.conf:net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter=0
like advised in:
http://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2008-November/000950.html

After that I have made the config settings again on my WindowsXP system
and the VPN connection were established and works.
Then I exported the ACSII config and import it to my Linux machine (same
like WinXP, dualboot) in Shrew VPN client with same problem. (stuck at
Phase 1 negotiation)
I have also debuged the packets where I see requests but no answer from
VPN gateway (Netgear).

Thanks in advance,
Tilo