[vpn-help] Problem after upgrade to ubuntu 11.10

Tilo Chucholowius tc at tc-world.de
Thu Oct 27 16:49:32 CDT 2011

Hi João,

same here.
Kevin advices to download and compile the new version 2.2.0 beta. I
don't have had the time to do it.
It's worth a try.
I've quoted Kevin's answer below.

cu
Tilo

On 10/26/2011 09:01 AM, tc at tc-world.de wrote:
> again with the ike.log attachment.
>
>> Hi Shrew VPN list,
>>
>> I need your help with the VPN connect to a Netgear Firewall.
>>
>> VPN Client Version:
>> 2.1.7-release (Shrew VPN Client)
>>
>> Linux or BSD OS Version:
>> Kubuntu 11.10 64bit (actual patched enabled)
>>
>> Gateway Make/Model:
>> Netgear FVS338,
>>
>> Gateway OS Version: ( if known)
>> Firmware 3.0.7-24 (newest available firmware)
>>
>> I have set the rp_filter to 0
>> sysctl.d/10-network-security.conf:net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter=0
>> sysctl.d/10-network-security.conf:net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter=0
>> like advised in:
>> http://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2008-November/000950.html
>>
>> After that I have made the config settings again on my WindowsXP system
>> and the VPN connection were established and works.
>> Then I exported the ACSII config and import it to my Linux machine (same
>> like WinXP, dualboot) in Shrew VPN client with same problem. (stuck at
>> Phase 1 negotiation)
>> I have also debuged the packets where I see requests but no answer from
>> VPN gateway (Netgear).

Hi Tilo,

We think there may be a problem with the Shrew 2.1.7 packages available
in 11.10.  This thread has more detail:
http://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2011-September/003988.html
http://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2011-October/004033.html
http://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2011-October/004049.html

This post contains instructions on how to install the Shrew 2.1.5
packages (which do work) in 11.10.
http://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2011-October/004053.html

You can also try compiling the Shrew 2.2.0 beta yourself, it works also.
http://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2011-October/004056.html