[vpn-help] Use without GUI?

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Tue Sep 13 20:43:18 CDT 2011

On 08/17/2011 04:49 AM, Fedor Panasenko wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I need to use Shrew on my server that doesn't have any kind of X. So,
> connection needs to be established on boot and be active all the time.
> Also, I have .vpn config for this (which I can import to vpnc and use there).
>
> Unfortunately, I cannot find any way to configure vpnd to act this way.

Hi Fedor,

I believe that Shrew clients in the 2.1.x stream require X, since the
connect application (ikec) brings up a window dialog.

However, Shrew clients in the 2.2.x stream have a command line-only
option, added in the alpha3 build
(http://www.shrew.net/download/changelog/ike/2.2.0-alpha-3).  Apparently
the ikec application has been renamed, first to ikec-qt and then to
qikec (http://www.shrew.net/download/changelog/ike/2.2.0-alpha-10), and
a new program ikec has been added for command line-only connects.

So... if you're willing to build the Shrew 2.2.0 beta, you should get
command line-only operation from the ikec application.