[vpn-help] Shrew Client Stops Working on XP

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Wed Sep 7 22:11:57 CDT 2011

On 09/06/2011 03:28 PM, Howard Edin wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've got a problem that is driving me crazy and would appreciate any
> thoughts:
>
> The situation arises out of the blue where a previously working Shrew
> client fails to establish the security association with the target
> firewall. In other words the VPN client connects and claims the tunnel
> is up (but its not). Looking at the Network tab there is a 0 for
> established security associations and of course the tunnel drops after a
> short while.
>
> Researching the archives suggested that changing the policy generation
> to unique instead of auto might help but it did not. This problem
> happens on Windows XP computers, SP3, running Shrew 2.1.17 connecting to
> a WatchGuard xtm510 firewall.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why a previously working client stops
> establishing a security association?

Hi Howard,

I don't know why it stops working.  I've seen a couple of times that
Shrew sometimes doesn't like suspend/sleep/resume cycles.

I would suggest using the Trace Utility (or Control Panel Services
control) to try restarting the Shrew services (IKE Service, IPSEC
Service especially) to see if that resolves the problem.

It's not an answer, but at least it would mean that you don't have to
reboot to solve the problem.