[vpn-help] Asymmetric routing between Shrewsoft 2.1.7 and OpenSwan

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Sat Sep 17 07:08:14 CDT 2011

On 09/16/2011 02:28 AM, Erich Titl wrote:
> Hi Kevin
>
> at 16.09.2011 03:16, Kevin VPN wrote:
>>
>> If the route is dynamic you're still not stuck.  Simply increase the
>> InterfaceMetric instead.  The Microsoft link tells you how to do it:
>
> This was the first thing I tried, doesn not help at all. I did it with
> the command line interface and checked in the routing table. The change
> does not affect the routing of the packets.
>
> Well, they rewrote the IP stack, what does one expect.....

Hi Erich,

When I tried to do it through the command line it didn't change anything
for me either.  I think that's because the metric control was still set
to Automatic, both for the Gateway and Interface metrics.

Try making the changes through the GUI using the steps in my previous
message.  Open the "Advanced TCP/IP Settings" for the network adapter
you want to change, uncheck the "Automatic metric" checkbox, then enter
a manual metric into the "Interface metric" box.  Use a number greater
than 32 to ensure the Shrew routes are preferred.