[vpn-help] Netgear FVS124G & Shrew

Paul Saxelby psaxelby at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 11 23:38:33 CDT 2012

Hi All,

I'm trying to connect a Win7 machine to my home network through an
FVS124G. I've had a little experience with VPN - but not much, and I'm
confused by the problem I'm facing at the moment.
The connection closes down almost straight away, and when I look in the
debug log, in phase 1, there's a message saying Got vpn_local.com,
Expected vpn_remote.com.

In the router I have local fqdn as vpn_local.com, and remote fqdn as
vpn_remote.com. In the Shrew client I have local fqdn as vpn_remote.com
and remote as vpn_local.com.
As far as I can tell from the examples I have seen this is the correct
setup.
What's really confusing me is that if I swap the fqdns around in the
client I get the opposite message, i.e 'Got vpn_remote.com, Expected
vpn_local.com'.

???

Why does swapping them round result in the opposite message instead of
letting me through to the next config error (there're bound to be more)?

Unfortunately I've not been able to find a 'walkthrough' on connecting
Shrew to an FVS124g anywhere.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks,
Paul