[vpn-help] negotiantion timeout occured on Win7 64Bit (August 2012)

bestellungen at thielheim.com bestellungen at thielheim.com
Mon Aug 20 04:25:43 CDT 2012

Hi Kevin,

thank you very much for all the hints and instructions!
Some comments see directly below your questions

I'll test with
wireshark as soon as i can.

Regard's,
David

bestellungen at thielheim.com [1]wrote:

>> Hi Kevin, thank you for your
respond. And the answer is no: No packets are reaching the gateway. So
currently i guess, that the "Shrew virtuel Adapter" is the reason
bacause it get's not enabled while i try to establish the connection. I
cannot see any error messages. The Win7 machine - SP1 with all patches -
is standalone / no domain and it's an out of the box installation - no
other software on it. Regards, David On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 22:31:03 -0400,
Kevin VPN wrote:

>> connecting problem as it was posted
earlier in this mailing list: Win7 64Bit SP1 client (German) with Shrew
VPN Client 2.1.7 (and 2.2.0 beta, separetly tested). Trying to connect
brings me to the "negotiation timeout accoured" message. Checked the
adapter settings (Filter) with all tried media (Mobile Phone, WiFi,
Ethernet/cable) Using WinXP / SP3 (german) everything is working as
exprected with every media (mobile, WiFi...) Using a LANCON 1722 VPN
Gateway with the lates Firmware (LC.OS) Attached you'll find an IKE
trace log. Any help would be highly appreciated! I would first check the
VPN gateway logs to see if it even sees the Do you have any other VPN
software installed on the Win7 mac

>>> width:100%">part of an Act

Domain?

> Hi David,
>
> My understanding
is that the Shrew Soft Virtual Adapter does not get
> enabled until the
negotiation has at least partially progressed with the
> VPN gateway.
Based on the trace log you sent and your comment about no
> packets
reaching the gateway, negotiation does not even start in your case.

I have a few questions for you:

> 1. Is the Win7 machine a laptop?
Does it have the Microsoft Virtual
> WiFi Miniport adapter enabled? If
so, uninstall Shrew, disable the
> Virtual WiFi adapter, reboot, then
install Shrew again.

> OK, i'll do. I only disabled the adapter but
did'nt reinstall the shrew software

> 2. The Windows XP machine that
works, is it on the same network as the
> Windows 7 machine? Are they
behind a NAT so that VPN gateway sees them
> coming from the same IP
address? If so, can you try disconnecting the
> other Shrew clients,
wait 15 minutes, then try the Win7 machine?

> I'VE ALLWAYS TESTED
WITH MY MOBIL PHONE, SO THERE IS NO NAT IN THAT GAME

> 3. Do you know
how to use Wireshark to do a packet capture? If so, can
> you do a
capture to see if there's packets coming from the Win7 machine
> going
to the gateway?

> Yes, i know and i'll try as soon as i can (at the
end of the week may be).

Links:
------
[1] mailto:bestellungen at thielheim.com