[vpn-help] Juniper SRX210 NAT-T problems

Loris Modenese l.modenese at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 07:23:10 CST 2012

Hi Kevin,

I can confirm what Gergely said.
The problem it is related to the NAT-T and DPD code on both 2.1.7 and
2.2.0 versions.
With NAT-T disabled or with a dial-up connection (public IP address) the
link is stable.
I've also notice that no matter the client it is configured (with or w/o
DPD and different timeout)
it keep on sending DPD every 30sec when NAT-T option is enabled for 10
times then it always disconnect (about 5-5.5 min).
I tested the config with 4 SRX-240H, 1 SRX-210H and 3 SRX-100 running
JunOS 10.4 with the same results.

Here my working config for JunOS 10.4 (NAT-T disabled)

n:version:2
n:network-ike-port:500
n:network-mtu-size:1380
n:client-addr-auto:1
n:network-natt-port:4500
n:network-natt-rate:300
n:network-frag-size:540
n:network-dpd-enable:0
n:client-banner-enable:0
n:network-notify-enable:0
n:client-wins-used:1
n:client-wins-auto:1
n:client-dns-used:1
n:client-dns-auto:1
n:client-splitdns-used:1
n:client-splitdns-auto:1
n:phase1-dhgroup:2
n:phase1-life-secs:86400
n:phase1-life-kbytes:0
n:vendor-chkpt-enable:0
n:phase2-life-secs:3600
n:phase2-life-kbytes:0
n:policy-nailed:0
n:policy-list-auto:0
s:network-host:12.34.56.78
s:client-auto-mode:push
s:client-iface:virtual
s:network-natt-mode:disable
s:network-frag-mode:enable
s:auth-method:mutual-psk-xauth
s:ident-client-type:fqdn
s:ident-server-type:any
s:ident-client-data:vpnclient.domain.local
b:auth-mutual-psk:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
s:phase1-exchange:aggressive
s:phase1-cipher:3des
s:phase1-hash:md5
s:phase2-transform:esp-3des
s:phase2-hmac:md5
s:ipcomp-transform:disabled
n:phase2-pfsgroup:2
s:policy-level:auto
s:policy-list-include:192.168.78.0 / 255.255.255.0
s:client-saved-username:

Best regards
Loris Modenese