[vpn-help] ikea startup: Session Management error

mh at morxy.co.uk mh at morxy.co.uk
Thu Feb 2 11:22:09 CST 2012

I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 and installed Shrew VPN Client 2.1.7 using
Ubuntu's package manager (ike-qtgui 2.1.7+dfsg-1build1).

$ iked
ii : created ike socket 0.0.0.0:500
ii : created natt socket 0.0.0.0:4500
## : IKE Daemon, ver 2.1.7
## : Copyright 2010 Shrew Soft Inc.
## : This product linked OpenSSL 1.0.0e 6 Sep 2011

$ ikea &
Session management error: None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported

Can anyone explain this error? I've tried googling and can't find any
definitive solution or cause. I can't use the ikea access manager to
connect to any remote VPN server, probably as a result of this.
(Meanwhile, the same VPN server works perfectly on my Windows XP
laptop with the same Shrew client.)