[vpn-help] [Vpn-help] Problems with Client Install or Uninstall ...

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Tue Feb 14 19:10:55 CST 2012

On 1/26/2012 3:01 PM, Peter Olivieri wrote:
> I am receiving a message peer config failed when attempting to connect
> to a VPN. This was working and I am not sure what was done as it is not
> my computer.
>
> I went through each of the steps on the following page
>
> http://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2008-May/000703.html
>
> rebooted and went through the install again. After completing the
> install the configuration reappeared and I am still having the same issue.
>
> Anything you can suggest would be helpful.

The peer config failed message tends to happen when a version of the
client program ( ipsecc.exe ) is talking to mismatched version of the
IKE daemon ( iked.exe ). For example ( ver 2.1.7 vs ver 2.2.x ). Did you
happen to copy ipsecc.exe somewhere instead of making a shortcut? Or
have you searched your system to make sure there are not multiple copies
of programs installed somehow in different locations?