[vpn-help] Making all connections go through VPN

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Tue Jan 3 21:41:06 CST 2012

On 12/17/2011 12:58 AM, Will Kalman wrote:
> I have my Netgear FVS-318G VPN endpoint router VPN working great with
> ShrewSoft VPN client but I notice that it does split-tunneling where
> connections to my inside network go through the tunnel as expected, but
> requests to the "internet-at-large" go directly out the client machine's
> internet connection.  Aside from secure access to my home network
> (typically, I'm accessing the SVN server and file shares on my Qnap NAS),
> which is working great, one of my goals was to route all my internet
> connections through my home network for added security at public wi-fi spots
> to eliminate snooping of email passwords, etc.
>
> Has anyone gotten this to work as I'm looking to do?  Client OS is Win7.

Hi Will,

What is tunnelled or not is dependent on the setting on the Policy tab
of the Shrew site configuration and also on the configuration of the VPN
gateway.

By default, a new site configuration is set to "Obtain Topology
Automatically or Tunnel All."  This means that when you connect to the
VPN gateway, the Shrew client will accept from the gateway a
configuration that specifies what destinations to tunnel. If it fails to
receive a list of destinations to tunnel, then Shrew will try to tunnel
all traffic.

Assuming you've not modified the default Policy configuration, then I
would suggest that your gateway is providing Shrew with only the ip
range for your inside network as a tunnel destination.  To correct this
you'll need to change the configuration of the Netgear.