[vpn-help] What is the different between windows and Mac version for shrew VPN?

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Thu Jan 5 20:52:16 CST 2012

On 01/02/2012 05:30 AM, Jinyan Huang wrote:
> Dear Kevin,
>
> I have strange problem for shrew VPN. When I am in France, the vpn on
> Mac and windows worked very well. But when I return to China, only VPN
> on window is working. The VPN for Mac does not work. I got this error
> message. Shrew vpn mac version is Ver 2.2.0.
>
> negotiation timout occurred
> tunnel disabled
> detached from key daemon
>
> I have try these twice. So I am sure for this. In China, only windows
> version is fine. In France, both version is OK.
>
> Maybe China blocked some port? What is the different between windows
> and Mac version for shrew VPN?

Hi Jinyan,

I'm not sure what differences might come into play.  Obviously they are
different in some ways being on different OSes using different
dependency components, but I would think that the actual packets going
back and forth (which is what a network filter would see) would be
pretty similar.

Can you provide us with iked.log trace outputs from the Mac and Windows
machines so we can compare?  Maybe one is trying to do NAT-T and the
other isn't?

What version is Shrew on the Windows machine (you mention Mac is 2.2.0)?