[vpn-help] VPN configuration fails after changing ip address of Juniper NetScreen 5GT

Arne Schirmacher nn4l at yahoo.de
Wed Jan 18 04:34:41 CST 2012

I have configured VPN access according to the tutorial at http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/HowtoJuniperSsg. The internal (trusted) network is 192.168.1.0/24, after establishing the VPN I can connect to http://192.168.1.1 (the Juniper NetScreen 5GT) and to other web servers in the trusted network.

When I configure the router to a different ip address 192.168.1.2 I can still establish the VPN connection and log in to the router at its new address, but it is not possible to reach any of the other systems in the trusted network. This is surprising as the new address is of course in the same subnet.

When I plug in a notebook to one of the trusted ports in the router, I can successfully connect to each system in the trusted network. So it must be some problem with the VPN setup.

I have also checked all router configuration settings to find a setting that has still the old ip 192.168.1.1, but all relevant settings are updated to the new ip address. Restart does not help either. The client setting also does not have any reference to the old or new ip address.

The ip setting of the router was set using telnet and the command "set interface trust ip 192.168.1.2/24", the router itself was reset to factory settings before configuring VPN access.

Please advise, thanks for any help.