[vpn-help] Windows 7 64bit Slow VPN

Mark A. DeMichele demi at intellipro.com
Wed Jan 18 09:12:30 CST 2012

I realized that my upload speeds to my office over our VPN were very
slow so I started digging into it.  At the office we have a Netscreen 10
hosting our VPN connections.  On one of the servers at the office we
have a nice HTTP based file server that I can  access remotely using a
public IP address (no vpn) and a local IP address (vpn), and when
uploading it displays KB/Sec. This gives me the ability to compare
upload speeds.

Also, at my remote site (home - Comcast cable), I have several different
machines behind the same router running different OS's.  These are the
machines.

Two  Windows 7 64 bit machines

One Windows 7 32 bit machine

One Windows Vista 32bit machine

All the machines have Shrewsoft 2.1.7 installed using the same config.

I tested all them without the VPN and they all uploaded at about
550-600KB/sec.

On the Window Vista 32bit machine, I tried both Shrewsoft and my
original Netscreen client.  They both performed ok at about
450-500KB/sec.  (Slower than without VPN, but I guess that's expected).

Same results as above on the Windows 7 32 bit machine.

However, on both the Windows 7 64bit machines, I'm only getting about
12KB/sec which is painfully slow.

A co-worker at another remote location using Windows 7-64bit and
Shrewsoft 2.1.6 can upload at about 550KB/sec.  I uninstalled my  2.1.7
version and installed 2.1.6, but I get the same results, so I don't
think it's 2.1.7.

Can anyone give me some pointers on where to look to figure out why it's
so slow.

Thanks,

Mark