[vpn-help] Can same server config work for iPhone and Shrew? - Phase 1 trouble

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Thu Jan 19 09:51:46 CST 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 10:31:44AM -0500, Whit Blauvelt wrote:

> Is Shrew's "Mutual PSK + XAuth" the equivalent of "xauth_psk_client"
> rather than "xauth_psk_server" on the racoon side? I have no idea what the
> difference between those two is ...

Well, Googling it, it looks like the server should properly use
"xauth_psk_server," and the "_client" variant is only for (duh!) a remote
client. So that shouldn't be it. Although I'm just deducing that from
examples. Documentation is thin.

Could there be some other setting necessary to get Shrew's "Mutual PSK +
XAuth" behavior to be accepted by racoon's "xauth_psk_server" expectations?

Thanks,
Whit