[vpn-help] Shrewsoft Client Issues

Liam liamtr at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 20:06:45 CDT 2012

Hi,
I am experiencing connection dropout problems using the Shrewsoft VPN
client (both 2.1.7 and 2.2.0 Beta 2) in Windows (both XP and 7) with a
new Netgear ProSafe FVS318N (latest firmware) which I am setting up for
remote users to VPN into.

I have followed and repeated your Netgear How To instructions to the
letter (http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/HowtoNetgear) to set up an
IPSEC VPN and the initial connection works fine but when I connect to a
network drive and start transferring files or use Windows remote desktop
(RDP), those connections appear to work well initially but drop out
every 60-80 seconds every time for around 20 seconds.

The VPN remains up as I can continue pinging resources through the VPN
the whole time and there are no VPN error messages that I can see. The
Network tab of VPN Connection shows 1 for Established and 0 for both
Expired and Failed. The only errors I see are from the Windows pc
connecting to the VPN stating "The connection has been lost. Attempting
to reconnect to your session..." for the RDP dropout and a "The network
resource was not found" for the dropped connection to the network drive.

I tried connecting two different computers (both stable and in good
working order) using XP and 7 to the VPN and RDP and network drive drop
outs occur. I have tried using two different Cat5 cables with both an
indirect connection (using another router) and a direct connection to
the WAN port of the Netgear VPN router (using static IP's etc). I also
tried disabling Dead Peer Detection on both the router and the VPN
clients and it made no difference. If I connect on the LAN side of the
router using those cables and computers, there are no issues using RDP
or network drives.

Also, when Version 2.2.0 Beta is installed, it prompts users to update
to version 2.1.7. This is not ideal given that the reason some users may
be using this version in the first place is due to the Dead Peer
Detection issue with some Netgear routers. I would suggest that update
checks should only seek higher numbers, ie 2.2.0 to 2.2.1 etc, unless of
course a Beta version was completely revoked.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it as I am
not sure where to go from here.

Thanks,

Liam