[vpn-help] 2.1.7 win7x64 negotiation timeout, only works with one adapter

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Mon Jul 9 20:50:58 CDT 2012

On 07/01/2012 01:11 PM, Josh Endries wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just today I ran into this bug. I can only seem to use the VPN client
> if I am using my wireless adapter. Using my LAN adapter causes the
> negotiation timeout problem, consistently and reproducibly. I do have
> a virtual wifi miniport adapter but currently, and as far as I know,
> it's always been disabled.
>
> When I initially installed the VPN client, I was using the wireless
> adapter. Only recently did I run a wire to plug in. However, the VPN
> won't work when using the Local Area Connection adapter... I did a
> little initial testing with WinDump:
>
> * With both adapters enabled, there is no traffic to my VPN endpoint's
> IP on *either* adapter.
> * With just the LAN enabled, there is no traffic.
> * With just the wireless enabled, there is traffic.
> * Switching adapters (enable/disable) with the VPN client running
> doesn't affect the client's operations (I thought maybe it "cached"
> the list of adapters).
> * Aside from the IP address, the routing table is identical whether
> using LAN or wireless adapters.
> * Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #6 comes and goes with either/both wireless
> and LAN (if either are enabled, or one is enabled, it's there; if both
> are disabled, it's gone). Maybe this has to do with one of the other
> VPN clients I have, I dunno.
> * Disabling the Windows Firewall doesn't help; still no packets are sent.
>
> This suggests to me a bug in the VPN client software, since nothing is
> getting sent (or a bug with Windows, or their interaction). Anything
> else I should try?

Hi Josh,

I don't really have any ideas, but I'd suggest trying the Shrew
2.2.0beta2 to see if any of the Win7 optimizations in the 2.2.x codebase
help with this problem.

Another thing to check is to see if the Shrew Soft Lightweight Filter is
installed into (and enabled) in the Local Area Connection Properties.
(This is the same place where you'd configure a static IP address on the
LAN adapter.)