[vpn-help] v2.1.7 and 2.2.0 on win2008r2 , iked does not see answer from server

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Mon Mar 5 22:14:17 CST 2012

On 03/05/2012 02:44 AM, Alexis La Goutte wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Did your check your firewall ?
>
> But.. I not sure if Shrew VPN are compatible with Windows 2008 R2...
> VPN Client is not provided to be installed on a server...
>
> Regards,
>
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Martin Forster<martin.forster at kuenz.com>wrote:

SNIP

>> I have verified with a 2nd machine, that answer packets from the vpn server
>> are coming.
>> I dont see those packets on the client, even when i enable capture packets
>> in
>> the trace utility the file stays at 0 bytes.
>>
>> The client is a virtual machine on ESXi 4.1
>>
>> Any Hints?
>> Martin Forster

I think the trick might be that the client is a VM.  It's possible that
something in the hypervisor is intercepting the packets (there might be
a firewall on it or perhaps even a VPN stack).  If you run the sniffer
inside the VM itself, do you see the return packets from the gateway?

Regarding Alexis' comment about Shrew running on Windows Server 2008 R2,
this post suggests that it does, assuming Matthew correctly noted the
client OS:
http://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2010-July/002779.html