[vpn-help] mac osx, vpn works on wireless, not on wired

Gary Schrock gary at eyelab.msu.edu
Tue Mar 6 08:10:47 CST 2012

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 11:23 PM, Kevin VPN <kvpn at live.com> wrote:
> If you suspect phase2 is failing, the iked debug from Shrew can help
> determine that (note that you may have to hunt around to find where iked.log
> is on the Mac):
> http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/BugReportVpnUnix
>
> However, I suspect the problem may be something else and Phase2 is just a
> symptom.  In the iked.log, we'll probably find the the phase2 negotiation
> packets time out because something is eating the responses before they get
> back to the client.

Yeah, that wouldn't really surprise me, especially since I don't
really have any reason to expect that it should fail (after all, the
same config file works on pc's, and on the wireless mac).  I'll go
digging for that log though and see if I see anything that helps out.

> That said, I've almost no experience with Macs, so I can't really help more
> than that.

That's part of my problem too, not a lot of knowledge of Macs myself.

> BTW, are the IP spaces used by the wired Mac and wireless Mac the same?  Is
> one NATted when the other isn't?

Different ip spaces, but neither one of them is NATed.  However, the
ip spaces for the mac wired are the same as pc's wired, and the mac
wireless are the same as the pc's wireless, and the pc's work in both
cases.