[vpn-help] EL6 client?

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Tue Mar 6 11:56:03 CST 2012

Kevin VPN <kvpn at ...> writes:

> On 03/02/2012 05:52 PM, David G. Miller wrote:
> > Kevin VPN<kvpn at ...>  writes:

> SNIP
> > I finally got a working solution by setting net.ipv4.conf.eth0.rp_filter to
> > zero.  Unfortunately, this opens a significant security hole.
>
> Interesting discovery.  It could be useful to someone despite the risks,
> thanks for noting it.

You're welcome.
> > The goal is to have the VPN client on the Internet facing EL6 box that also
> > serves as my router and have multiple boxes within my local network be able
> > to connect to the VPN through a single client.
> >

> I don't have any suggestions for solving the issue specifically on
> RHEL6, but someone was trying to do the same thing a little while ago
> (one VPN client, client LAN routed through it) and it generated some
> discussion.  You could try reviving that thread and see what they ended
> up doing:
> http://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2012-January/004224.html

I'm pretty sure I can solve the routing issues which is what that thread is
mainly about.  I was just hoping to get a solution that didn't involve opening
any additional rp_filter settings.

Any idea why the client works fine under Fedora 16 but not under EL6?  I found
out that a number of the dependent libraries changed between EL6 and FC16 by
simply trying to install the FC16 rpm on EL6.  This goes back to my original
question about building a statically linked version with the FC16 libraries.  Or
do the differences go deeper?

Cheers,
Dave