[vpn-help] Start Shrew Soft VPN Client from command-line

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Sun Mar 18 18:31:52 CDT 2012

On 03/18/2012 01:08 PM, lestoilfante wrote:
> You should disable the gui on compiling time. then run iked and ikec -r
> configfilename -u username -p password -a
>

> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 9:42 AM, cmlitguy at gmail.com<cmlitguy at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I want to ask if someone know how I can start Shrew VPN Client from
>> command-line on Linux.
>> pipermail/vpn-help/2011-April/**003636.html<http://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2011-April/003636.html>,
>> but with no clear response.
>> Also I tried to find help starting the programs:
>> # ikea --help
>> ikea: cannot connect to X server
>>
>> # ikec --help
>> ikec: cannot connect to X server
>>
>> # iked --help
>> !! : socket bind failed
>> daemon network configuration failed
>>   ( line 9, col 15 )
>>
>> Cant someone ask if is possible to establish a VPN tunnel using Shrew Soft
>> VPN Client from command-line ?
>> Now we are using vpnc + simple php script with apache to make a connection
>> via Web Browser:

Just a note that it is only the Shrew Client 2.2.x versions that support
command-line operation.  Just build the latest 2.2.0beta2 instead of the
2.1.7 version.

In 2.2.x, ikec and ikea are command-line programs, and qikec and qikea
are the Qt GUI applications that correspond to the 2.1.7 version apps.