[vpn-help] Window VPN client 2.1.7 does not work with the firewall enabled.

Simon Callan simon.callan at infoshare-is.com
Thu May 3 03:38:24 CDT 2012

Hi,

On 03 May 2012 01:38 Kevin wrote:

>On 05/02/2012 08:15 AM, Simon Callan wrote:
>>
>> I've just installed the ShrewSoft VPN client 2.1.7 on a new Windows 7
>> 64 bit laptop, with the latest patches. If I run the client with the
>> Windows firewall disabled, I can connect to the VPN server. If the
>> firewall is turned on, I appear to get the full connection up, but any
>> packets I send out just disappear.

<snip>

>> Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to configure the firewall
>> to allow things to work. I have put "Access manager" and "ipsecc" in
>> the firewall exception list.

> I'm running Shrew version 2.2.0beta on my machine, so the programs might
not be exactly
> the same for version 2.1.7, but I would also add iked.exe, ipseca.exe,
ipsecd.exe to the
> exception list.  I would guess that iked.exe is the most important one.

It appears the issue was with the firewall not configuring in the way I
thought it did. I had added IPSecC to the list using the "simple" interface.
When I redid it using the full firewall configuration interface, everything
now appears to be working fine.

The laptop walked out the door 5 minutes ago, so I can't do any more
experimentation, but once it comes back, I'll try the other programs as
well.

Simon

Infoshare Ltd
Millennium House
21 Eden Street
Kingston upon Thames
Surrey
KT1 1BL
United Kingdom

Phone: 		+ 44 (0) 20 8541 0111
Support:	+ 44 (0) 20 8481 4760
Web:		www.infoshare-is.com
E-mail:		info at infoshare-is.com

Infoshare Ltd is registered in England and Wales.
Registered Office as above.
Registered Number 2877612
VAT Number GB 678 1443 10

The content of this e-mail (and any attachment to it) is confidential.
Any views or opinions do not represent the views or opinions
of Infoshare Ltd.
If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender
and delete it. You may not use, copy or disclose the information
in any way.

Infoshare Ltd monitors incoming and outgoing e-mails.

Please consider the environment. Do you really need to print
this email?