[vpn-help] vpn client help request - connection keeps dropping

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Wed Nov 21 20:16:44 CST 2012

On 11/21/2012 10:59 AM, David Liddle wrote:
> Andrea,
>
> I have good experience with connecting the ShrewSoft Client 2.2.0 on Windows XP
> and Windows 7 with our ZyWALL USG-200. The configurations are probably not very
> different, and I would be happy to share the settings that have worked in our
> situation. The connections have been stable, day in and day out, for a long time.
>

> On 11/19/2012 6:06 PM, RHO | Andrea Onorati wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am running VPN Client 2.1.7 to connect to a Zywall5 Firewall. I am
>> connecting fine, but every X seconds I get disconnected with the message
>> “session terminated by gateway”. Client is Windows 7 professional.

Hi Andrea,

I would check a couple things:

First, check to make sure that the Phase1 and Phase2 lifetime settings
are the same on both the client Site Configuration and the Zywall VPN
gateway settings.  If they are out of sync, the Phase1 and Phase2
associations will not re-negotiate properly when one approaches the
lifetime timeout, causing your connection to drop.

The other thing to check is if you have a mismatch in Dead Peer
Detection settings.  Even if they are in synch, sometimes enabling DPD
does more harm than good - try the connection with DPD disabled.