[vpn-help] VPN connection established but wrong route

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Wed Nov 21 20:33:44 CST 2012

On 11/20/2012 12:47 AM, Mirco Freiberg wrote:
> Hey John,  thx for dealing with my problem.  I don't enter the vpn data
> manually instead I'm using a pcf import to set up the tunnel.  My
> credentials are correct.  What do you mean by adding that device to the
> client? Thx Mirco
> Am 19.11.2012 14:52 schrieb "John Primeaux" <john at gulfstatespc.com>:
>
>>   Have you added that device to the client and made sure your credentials
>> matched?  Also, are you using the profile that you created using your
>> device, or are you going in and manually entering the settings for your
>> VPN.  I know sometimes one simple mismatch can stop you from completing a
>> connection.  I know in the past when it showed connected, but didn’t allow
>> me to access my software on the secure side had to do with a weak
>> connection and not having a stable VPN.  So these are all things to
>> consider.****

Hi Mirco,

Are you using a very fast wlan connection? For instance wireless
standard 'N'?  We have sometimes found that Windows Vista/7
automatically assigns a lower routing metric to fast networks (10Gb
ethernet, 802.11n WiFi) than to the Shrew tunnel, so all traffic
bypasses the tunnel by taking the preferred network.

To see if this is the case, connect to the VPN, then open a CMD prompt
and type 'route print'.  This will display the routing table.

The column on the right, called Metric, is the one that shows the
preference of one route vs another.  Lower values are better.  So if you
see, for instance, that the 0.0.0.0 Destination route assigned to your
WiFi connection has a lower metric than your VPN tunnel, the traffic may
take the WiFi route instead of the tunnel.

This thread may help:
http://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2011-September/003996.html

While the listserv archive is down, use this link:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:mkBpGBeMzBgJ:http://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2011-September/003996.html