[vpn-help] Mac OSX VPN Client Testing ...

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Wed Nov 21 20:37:17 CST 2012

On 11/14/2012 11:47 AM, Dorothea Brandemour wrote:
> I am trying to find a solution for a lawyer who has a MAC
>
> I found you address on one of the help sites.  She is trying to
> install the Shew software for a VPN tunnel to remote into our
> network
>
> The downloads I found were
>
> 1) Install the LGPL Qt Framework for Mac OSX ...
> http://get.qt.nokia.com/qt/source/qt-mac-opensource-4.7.1.dmg
>
> 2) Install the current release of the TUN/TAP driver for Mac OSX ...
> http://tuntaposx.sourceforge.net/download.xhtml
>
> You can then proceed to install the Shrew Soft VPN client ...
>
> www.shrew.net/download/vpn/vpn-client-install.dmg
>
> Are these the downloads for her MAC to install the VPN tunnel?

Hi Dorothea,

Yes, those are the latest instructions to install on Mac OS X, but there
are some caveats.

First, Qt has been upgraded to 4.8 and I don't think the Shrew Soft VPN
client build is completely compatible.  I wasn't able to get it working.

Secondly, on one version of OS X, the Shrew Soft VPN client install
accidentally overwrote the symbolic link to the the /etc directory,
making the system unusable after a reboot.  (Fortunately I was able to
repair it using the OS X install CD filesystem repair.)

My experiences recently with this build of the client have been so
variable and dangerous that I've stopped installing at this time.  I'm
waiting for an updated build.