[vpn-help] VPN not working with Radius and windows 2008

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Wed Apr 3 18:18:10 CDT 2013

On 03/28/2013 05:09 AM, Alexis La Goutte wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do you have check your NPS Logs ? (in your Windows 2008 Server ?)
>
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Vipan Kapur <v.kapur at ibtimes.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am able to ping the Raduis server (Microsoft) from the firewall and able
>> to ping the firewall from the Radius server.  When I try to connect using
>> an
>> AD account, I get the following on the firewall.

<snip>

>> 2013-03-25 11:05:15     warn    Primary 10.50.100.12, backup1 , and backup2
>> servers failed.
>> 2013-03-25 11:05:15     warn    Active Server Switchover: New requests for
>> Microsoft server will try Primary from now on.
>> 2013-03-25 11:05:15     warn    Active Server Switchover: New requests for
>> Microsoft server will try Backup2 from now on.
>> 2013-03-25 11:05:14     warn    Active Server Switchover: New requests for
>> Microsoft server will try Backup1 from now on.

Hi Vipan,

Those messages on the firewall mean that it can not contact the
Microsoft server to do RADIUS authentication.

The Juniper may be able to ping the Microsoft server (in other words,
connectivity between them exists) but it cannot communicate with the
RADIUS service on the Microsoft server.

Check the configuration of the Microsoft RADIUS entries on the Juniper
as well as the access controls on the Microsoft server.  Make sure the
password and other configuration options between them is correct.