[vpn-help] VPN no longer connects after ASA upgraded to 8.3(2)

Cory Bell bellcr at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 09:47:25 CDT 2013

Well, it appears I've answered my own question, so I'll post the
answer here for posterity.

It appears the problem is that 8.3(2) is very buggy WRT IPSec and NAT.
There were a few suspiciously familiar-sounding bugs in the "fixed"
list for the latest interim release - none mentioned ShrewSoft, of
course, but the Mac OS IPSec/L2TP client was mentioned. So, I upgraded
to 8.3(2)37 and my problems vanished. Based on the number of bug fixes
that are in 8.2(5) but are *not* in 8.3(2), I'd advise anyone who is
upgrading to 8.3 to go directly to the latest interim release.

It's still a mystery why the Mac OS X and vpnc clients were able to
connect (but suffered occasional connection drops), whereas the
ShrewSoft client was completely stymied - perhaps they have some
mechanism to detect and/or attempt to avoid NAT collisions?

Hope this saves someone else a headache.