[vpn-help] Mutual RSA+XAuth problem

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Mon Apr 22 07:25:26 CDT 2013

Hi Gerd,

I disagree with your statement because I think you're not making two key
differentiations that result in an unfair blanket judgment.

First, there was a post a while ago stating that there is a known
problem using XAUTH with Juniper SRX-based devices, because Juniper has
changed how their XAUTH implementation works between the older SSG
devices and their newer SRX devices.

On the other hand, the SSG devices seem to work very well with the Shrew
Soft VPN Client - there are lots of people successfully using SSGs and
Shrew on this list.

The second differentiation is relevant to the issue below, which is the
difference between using passwords vs certificates.  Certificates are
hard; people struggle with them all the time in all kinds of
applications (try getting an embedded Java implementation to trust
self-signed certificates for instance) and signing chains are frequently
an issue.  That people trying to use certificates are having problems is
not necessarily a problem with Shrew or Juniper - it could just be the
certificates themselves.

I am sure that there are people on this list who use certificates with
Juniper SSGs and Shrew who can help.  We merely have to be patient in
the hope that one of them will help out.