[vpn-help] WatchGuard XTM 505 and IPSec-VPN

Tommy Farnsworth tommy.farnsworth at icloud.com
Fri Aug 2 18:03:52 CDT 2013

I am sort of new to VPNs, but am learning.

I have a WatchGuard XTM 505 with 11.6.3 firmware and Management software 11.6.
I set up a Mobile VPN using IPSec.
Clients are using the Shrewsoft VPN client.

All of the clients connected fine and it seems to work with one major problem, they all get connected after an hour or so on connection. When this happens it causes a loss of work on their part and they have to reconnect.  Is there a way to keep the connection open longer?

In the WG unit there is a setting for ConnectionMode which can be manual, Automatic, or Variable. The default is manual.
I set up a second MobileVPN with IPSec to duplicate the original one as I don't want to do anything to mess up what they already have, as they do get some work done and are dependent on it.
In this duplicate one I set the ConnectionMode to Automatic and then regenerated the .wgx files that are then imported into the ShrewSoft VPN client.

With this new connection I can connect to the VPN, but it never really gets all the way. I get assigned an IP from the correct pool, but I can't ping the host that I should be able to.
I can run the original profile and it works fine. I can't see anything that is different about these other than the one setting of the ConnectionMode. I have changed the ConnectionMode back to manual on this second profile and still no connect.

If anyone has any ideas on this I'd be thankful and happy to try them. I'm not clear on where logs are, so if you need logs, let me know where I can find them and I'll go over them myself also.

Thanks,

~ Tommy