[vpn-help] Multicast traffic

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Wed Aug 7 20:30:21 CDT 2013

On 07/11/2013 12:00 PM, decoudx at yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I use Shrew Soft VPN Client in combination with a Bintec RS120 router,
> which works perfectly fine.
>
> But I'd like to send multicast traffic (Apple Bonjour) through the tunnel.
>
> The Router is capable to route multicasts from the tunnel and into the
> tunnel.
> (I use this in a LAN-to-LAN tunnel.)
>
> But the Shrew VPN Client declines any negotiations from the router
> concerning the needed SA.
>
> How can I manage this?

Hi Xavier,

As far as I know, Bonjour is not exactly multicast traffic in the normal
sense.  Bonjour is not capable of crossing subnet boundaries (it needs
all devices to be in the same broadcast zone), so it's unlikely to ever
work across a router unless your router is able to act as an mDNS proxy...

That said, I'm interested in multicast and mDNS over tunnels too, so I'm
interested in seeing what we can do.

How do you know that Shrew declines the SA?  Are you using the Trace
Utility?  If so, can you provide us with a debug log so we can help
figure out what Shrew configuration to use?