[vpn-help] Linux-Fritzbox-VPN-problem: no packet transmission although tunnel is enabled

hp hpf hp4everything at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 26 04:47:36 CDT 2013

Hi Axel,
since I'm back to my home I currently can't check the hotel-configuration.
But I've done another experiment:

within my Fritzbox-Router I activated the "guest-wlan" and connected with
my netbook. From within the guest-wlan I'm able to activate the tunnel to
the main wlan with the shrew-client!!!  But I don't know why because I
can't remember to have changed anything in the configuration. My guest wlan
is also a NATted wlan. So I can't see any difference to the "hotel-wlan"
(and from windows I was able to activate the tunnel also in the hotels).

During lots of experiments with different configurations and tools I got
lost a little bit. Maybe there are some dependencies on other
IPSEC-implementations? On my notebook I'd installed the packages openswan
and ipsec-tools before I installed the shrew-package. If you experiment
with shrew you probably have to ensure that the other implementations do
not interfere. So I deactivated the pluto-daemon (openswan) and the
racoon-daemon(ipsec-tools), but I'm not sure whether this is enough. (btw
all experiments with openswan and ipsec-tools were unsuccessful too. And
none of all ipsec-implementations seems to support a reasonable tool for
debugging connection problems. They don't seem to be interoperational out
of the box because a normal user can't oversee the implications and
dependencies of  configuration-settings).

As far as the kernel is concerned I'm using the current fedora-16 kernel
(vmlinuz-3.6.11-4.fc16.i686.PAE) and only modified the rp_filter option.

I'll keep you informed if anything more changes.

BR
Hans-Peter