[vpn-help] Problem with Credential Provider

Piotr Oleszkiewicz Piotr.Oleszkiewicz at sentinode.com
Sat Aug 24 08:33:14 CDT 2013

Hello,

When using client version 2.2.2 I try to log in a new user (without a cached
profile on the workstation).

The vpn connects, and it passes control to the OS which in turn says there
are no login servers available.

After SEVERAL trials it finally succeeds.

With the same VPN profile, when I connect first using another account - this
works perfectly every time.

My guess is that you turn over control to OS before VPN if fully initialized
/ visible by the OS  and when the OS tries to reach the server it fails.

If this is the case - the configurable delay after setting up the VPN should
solve the problem

Please investigate the matter and introduce some corrections. Being able to
login to a "non-cached" account over the VPN was the primary reason to buy a
pro license, and I will not be able to propose shrewsoft products to my
customers until this problem is solved.

The OS is Win 8 Pro, the PDC server  is 2008 R2.

Another thing is that you should follow the standard login process for the
Microsoft Credential Provider :

Do not force user to enter the domain name (use default instead with the
possibility of overriding it)

You should also allow for the option of windows logon credentials for XAUTH,
in this way loging with VPN could be as easy as with the standard Credential
Provider (as with this kinfd of config entering username and password would
be enough)

Best Regards,

Piotr Oleszkiewicz