[vpn-help] problems setting up VPN network

Matt Patey mpatey at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 14:30:32 CST 2013

> I am trying to set up a VPN connection to my home LAN. I can
> successfully establish the tunnel, but cannot ping any of the computers
> on the remote LAN and my internet connection is not routed through the
> tunnel and I suspect I have a routing problem. If anyone can tell me what
> I'm doing wrong or point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

OK, it is working now. In case it helps anyone else it seems the problem
was that the config on the Netgear was corrupt. It is recommended to
create new vpn profiles rather than keep tweaking old ones. I deleted
the profiles, restarted the router, created new vpn settings, restarted
the router and now it works. I couldn't get it to work with mode config
(the Shrew client said something about receiving an invalid response),
but it is working nicely with manually assigned settings. There are some
useful setup guides for Netgear VPN routers on vpncasestudy.com