[vpn-help] VPN Client 2.2.2 Release Now Available ...

Gerd Röthig gerd_roethig at web.de
Mon Jul 1 07:55:07 CDT 2013

Dear all,

thank you very much for your efforts in developing this new release.

Unfortunately, there seem to have been some changes in the authentication
procedure which render this new release unusable when users will have to
use a password provided by a hardware token (such as Entrust or RCA).
Scenario is as follows: For logging into the VPN, users will have to
provide a 4-digit PIN number, follwed by an 8-digit number provided by the
hardware token.
This login procedure works without problems in the 2.1.7 release.

The new 2.2.2 release, however, seems to fail transmitting these
credentials properly. Apparently, it then seems to repeat that faulty login
procedure several times, which finally results in the user's Entrust
account being blocked because of too many login failures.

The option to try to re-connect after a disconnect, should therefore NOT be
made the default setting after installing the 2.2.2 Shrew Soft VPN client.

Kind regards,

Gerd