[vpn-help] Shrew VPN connection establishes Phase 1 connection but not mapped drives - Win 7 Home Premium

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Sun Mar 24 21:35:41 CDT 2013

On 03/11/2013 12:23 PM, Craig Collings wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have approximately 15 VPN connections working successfully (thank
> you Shrew) until my last encounter. It is a laptop running Windows 7
> Home Premium and a pre-configured firewall (McAfee corporate) which
> works successfully on all the other machines using Shrew. This was a
> freshly rebuilt machine which successfully connected and mapped the
> drives correctly. It was when Windows performed its automatic updates
> that the VPN connection stopped working.
>
> I rolled back the windows settings to before the update and the VPN
> would then complete Phase 1 and establish a tunnel, but could not
> ping anything on the VPN connection and would not map any drives.
> Windows has since updated with automatic updates and the VPN still
> creates the tunnel successfully, but I cannot call up anything on the
> VPN.

<snip>

> The laptop functions correctly and has internet access, it just
> cannot create the VPN connection I need. Is there a solution for this
> problem. Is this a quick software fix or do I need to re-install
> windows?

Hi Craig,

I don't have a solution for you, but a few other list members have
indicated that Windows Updates may have caused their VPNs to stop
working.  I wrote back to at least one of them, but haven't had a
response.  This leads me to conclude that they found a fix for their
problem, suggesting that there is one available.

Something that would be very helpful is a list of the Windows Updates
applied that caused the VPN to stop working.  That would at least give
us a starting point for debugging the problem.

In the meantime, I'd try re-installing the latest Shrew 2.2.0-rc-2 (from
the HEAD DEVELOPMENT section of the downloads page) to see if that makes
a difference.