[vpn-help] Windows 8 - Shrew to Juniper connection - SA failed

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Thu May 9 20:23:25 CDT 2013

On 05/08/2013 08:46 PM, James Minard wrote:
> The xauth is succeeding, but on the remote client, if I switch over
> to the Network tab, it shows 0 established SAs, 0 Expired, but the
> Failed starts at 0 and then starts incrementing up to 1,2,3, etc. I
> thought maybe it was something to do with the Microsoft wi-fi virtual
> adapter in Windows 8, so I had the remote user disable that since I
> thought it was like the Windows 7 Microsoft virtual wi-fi minport
> adapter that I have seen cause problems with Shrew, but it didn't'
> make a difference.
>
> Any suggestions on what else could be causing this behavior? I've
> never seen the SA not establish after xauth is successful. The same
> user account works fine from my workstation, but it's Windows 7 and
> on an Ethernet connection, not wi-fi.

Hi James,

A failed SA is often because of a policy mismatch between Shrew and the
VPN gateway, but since I assume you're using the exact same
configuration on your Win7 workstation vs the Win8 machine, I'm not sure
that's the case.

Can you provide a bug report for us so we can see what Shrew is
reporting?  The instructions are here:
https://www.shrew.net/support/VPN_Bug_Report_Windows