[vpn-help] Automatic selection of local address to use

Juan Carlos Figueroa jcfigueroa at gmail.com
Tue May 14 04:55:17 CDT 2013

Hello!
On a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine I have the Shrew VPN Client v2.2. I have
two VPNs configured. The machine has 15 IP addresses. Both VPN are
configured with Local Host mode='Use an existing adapter and current
address'. When I establish a connection with the VPN 'A' the local address
selected is the main IP of the Windows machine (1.1.1.1). However, ALL THE
TIMES that I started the other VPN 'B' the local address selected is the
second IP address of the Windows machine (2.2.2.2). I made several tests
like:

1. Establish the VPN 'B' before the VPN 'A': Same result. The VPN 'B' is
always using the 2nd local address and not the main local address

2. Check the logs: The log is always showing:
13/05/14 04:39:43 DB : peer added ( obj count = 1 )
13/05/14 04:39:43 ii : local address 2.2.2.2 selected for peer
13/05/14 04:39:43 DB : peer ref increment ( ref count = 2, obj count = 1)

3. Add the secondary IP addresses to the Windows machine using with the
'skipsource' parameter: Done. However, the VPN client is always selecting
the secondary IP address to establish that VPN.

Then, I want to know why the Shrew VPN Client is always selecting the IP
1.1.1.1 as the local source for the VPN 'A' and the IP 2.2.2.2 as the local
source for my VPN 'B'. This behavior was not on a previous machine Windows
Server 2008 (Not R2) with the same number of IP addresses. On that machine,
the VPN client ALWAYS selects the main IP address as the local source for
any VPN.

Thank you

Juan