[vpn-help] Connect without Certificate or Preshared Key

Steve Boardwell lostinberlin2010 at googlemail.com
Wed May 22 08:43:02 CDT 2013

Hi,

I am trying to connect to our company's Check Point VPN using Ubuntu 12.04.
The company uses RADIUS two phase authentication.

On windows, the Check Point End Point Security VPN Client uses the
authentication method "challenge-response", meaning
 - we do not specify any PreShared Key or Certificates
 - we only supply the IP of the Gateway, username, and password
 - the real verification is then done per sms, phone, etc.

My question is whether I can do the same with Shrew? The
authentication-method "challenge-response" is not available in the
drop-down list.

I should add that the admins do not wish to hand out any certificates
meaning at the moment I am stuck and may even have to switch back to
Windows if I can't find a solution :o(.

Thanks for any help you can offer.