[vpn-help] Failure to connect to available network

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Mon Nov 18 21:04:02 CST 2013

On 09/05/2013 04:59 PM, Jim Harle wrote:
> Does "network server" mean a PPTP box or something else?  What *is*
> able to connect to it and work, or is it a new deployment?
>
> From: Alex Monfasani [mailto:alexm at 3phasecomputing.com] Sent:
> Thursday, September 05, 2013 10:31 AM To: Harle Jim Cc:
> vpn-help at lists.shrew.net Subject: Re: [vpn-help] Failure to connect
> to available network
>
> The remote computer is a network server.  I just tried Shrewsoft vpn
> + Remote Desktop Connection on a Windows 7 computer and it did not
> work on this computer either.  The general network
> unavailable/failure to connect message is not helpful.
>
> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM, Jim Harle
> <vpn at technicolor.com<mailto:vpn at technicolor.com>> wrote: Alex - I've
> seen at least one issue on this list where a Windows 8 computer acted
> differently than a Windows 7 computer when connecting to the same
> gateway, but I haven't experienced that myself - no special config.
>
> What other computers/OSes have worked to communicate with your site?
> What is the endpoint device?
>
> From:
> vpn-help-bounces at lists.shrew.net<mailto:vpn-help-bounces at lists.shrew.net>
> [mailto:vpn-help-bounces at lists.shrew.net<mailto:vpn-help-bounces at lists.shrew.net>]
> On Behalf Of Alex Monfasani Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 5:52
> PM To: vpn-help at lists.shrew.net<mailto:vpn-help at lists.shrew.net>
> Subject: [vpn-help] Failure to connect to available network
>
> I installed the latest version vpn 2.2 and I am using it on a Windows
> 8 computer.  I was able to connect to a site.  It is listed as
> "tunnel enabled".  When I attempt to use Remote Desktop Connection, I
> cannot connect to any available IP address on that network.  Using
> tracert <IP address> on command line times out and provides no
> information.
>
> Are there any Windows 8 configuration issues that I should be aware
> of? Are there any intermediary steps required to connect with the
> vpn? Are there any advanced troubleshooting techniques?
>
> I would appreciate any advice.  So for I have not been able to use
> this software to connect to another network.

Hi Alex,

This sounds like the Phase2 or Security Association negotiations are
failing.  Tunnel enabled appears when the Phase1 negotiation has
completed, but does not reflect the status of the Phase2/SA negotiation.

In order to see if Phase2 and SA has succeeded, look on the Network tab
of the VPN Connect dialog.  There should be at least 1 Established SA.
If there's only a slowly incrementing number of Failed associations
while you've got a continuous ping going, you've got a problem.

If you have a problem, provide us with a debug log and we'll see if we
can help:
https://www.shrew.net/support/VPN_Bug_Report_Windows