[vpn-help] Recurrent Dropped Connections

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Wed Nov 20 21:25:17 CST 2013

On 09/19/2013 06:15 AM, Jason Pepper wrote:

> I run OSX and Ubuntu as my primary operating systems but we install Win7
> for our users.
>
> Shrew on OSX and Ubuntu has worked flawlessly since I installed it, it
> never drops.. period.
>
> On Windows 7, however, I am receiving a flurry of complaints from users who
> report (in different ways) that the connection is dying and the only way
> they can seem to resurrect the connection is to reboot the computer. This
> is (obviously) not acceptable. We have tried to isolate a set of
> circumstances which cause this problem to reproduce at will but alas we
> were unsuccessful.

Hi Jason,

Are there other symptoms associated with the dropped tunnel?  Like for
instance the apps or OS seem to lock up?  Are your users accessing
network drives?  Are they wired or wireless?

I discovered a problem with one user a little while ago.  Her VPN would
disconnect/drop randomly, but not longer than 50 minutes after
connection.  This drop would cause the system I/O to lock up pretty
hard, and you'd have to shutdown or reboot before it was functional
again.  She has the Novell client installed, uses a gorgeous ultrabook
running Win7 (Pro I believe), and the problem only occurs when using
wireless.

Using ProcessExplorer, I'd find a thread using 100% of a CPU core.
ProcessExplorer identified it as "ntoskrnl.exe
KeReleaseInStackQueuedSpinLock+0x1e0"

I wasn't ever able to figure out what was causing it, but I'd be curious
if your users are experiencing the same thing.