[vpn-help] Shrew Soft Installation Issues

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Thu Nov 21 21:50:34 CST 2013

On 10/15/2013 02:01 PM, Goodluck Abadi wrote:
> I had successfully downloaded Shrew Soft from your website as directed from
> my school, University of Portsmouth. However, I could not complete the
> installation. I even decided to uninstall and then re-install several times
> but the installation seems to go in an endless circle. After clicking the
> ”Next button” on the 5th dialog box of the set up wizard as contained in
> the installation guide given (the one that asks for choice of installation
> location), instead of running the installation, the dialog box shown in the
> attachment pops up. If I click “Reboot now” the machine reboots and returns
> to the beginning of the Setup Wizard only to end up once again with this
> same dialogue box and the circle continues. However, if I click on “I want
> to manually reboot later”, the dialogue box simply disappears and nothing
> else happens and yet installation does not take place.
>
>    How can this be overcome, please. My machine properties are as follows:
>

> OS: Windows 8
>
>   Processor: Intel ® Core (TM) i5 – 333os CPU @2.70GHz
>
>   Installed memory (RAM):  4.0GB (3.87GB usable)
>
>   System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Hi Goodluck,

Something that I find odd is that Shrew is asking you to reboot.  In my
experience, you do not need to reboot after installing Shrew, although
I've not used it on Windows 8 yet.

Assuming that Shrew normally does not require a reboot, even on Windows
8, since you mentioned that you're trying to install to a custom
location, I'm wondering if perhaps the location you're trying to use is
a protected location in Windows?

Have you tried installing Shrew using the default options?