[vpn-help] Shrew + Win 7 (64) - no incoming packets

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Tue Nov 26 21:57:40 CST 2013

On 11/26/2013 10:08 AM, Service Lists wrote:
> Thanks for the hint, but sadly this didn't help in my case. Also tried
> not just starting as an admin, also installing the whole vpn-client as
> admin, but with the same result.
>
> Regards
> Mike
>
> 2013/11/13  <lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de>:
>>
>> Zitat von Service Lists <lists at michael-bruenisholz.ch>:
>>

>>> Hello Jörn, Hello Kevin
>>>
>>> Altough this is a rather old thread, i'm really wondering if you found
>>> a solution for your problem. I ran into the same problem with some of
>>> our vpn-clients, on different windows-versions. It seems like the
>>> returning pakets reach the client-machine, at least i can see some
>>> returning pakets in wireshark.
>>> Strange is the fact, that some other vpn-clients, with the same
>>> configuration and client-version, run smoothly.
>>>
>>> I'd be very happy if you've found a solution to your problem, because
>>> i'm really stuck at this.
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Mike
>>

>> We sometimes get this repaired by starting the VPN Manager once as
>> Administrator. Not sure why it works afterwards and it wasn't a solution in
>> any case :-(

Hi Mike,

Some questions:

1. Do you have any other VPN software on the non-working machines?

2. Are the non-working machines on a Windows domain?

3. Does the Shrew client connect (you see "tunnel enabled" on the
connect dialog) but you can't reach network resources, or can you not
connect at all?

4. If you go into the network connection properties (e.g. Local Area
Network Connection) and look at the list of adapters, where is Shrew in
the list?  For instance, one of mine reads:

Client for Microsoft Networks
VMware Bridge Protocol
Shrew Soft Lightweight Filter
QoS Packet Scheduler
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)