[vpn-help] Unable to access external sites while VPN connected

Russ Button rbutton at twelvefold.com
Mon Oct 21 14:27:36 CDT 2013

this is going to be fixed by looking at your DNS settings. The Shrew client
changes your DNS settings and ideally points you at an internal DNS server. If
the internal DNS server only gives you information about internal sites, then
external sites aren't going to be visible.

There are two possible fixes.

1. Your Shrew client needs to give you two DNS servers to look at, with the
primary being the internal server and a secondary being an external server
(8.8.8.8 is always good).

2. The internal server needs to be able to forward DNS requests outside of your
environment and thus support both internal and external DNS requests. That's
something your company IT staff have to deal with.

Either solution should work.

Russ