[vpn-help] Unable to access external sites while VPN connected

Gerd Rothig gerd.roethig at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 04:30:33 CDT 2013

As the others already mentioned, it is a Split-Tunnel issue.

That means all traffic from your computer is routed through the VPN, not
only traffic to the internal network.

Has it worked before you upgraded?

There are, basically, two ways to circumvent this problem:

1.       Use your company's web proxy. This is the solution your company's
IT will prefer as it will make use of the company's filter for malicious
sites.

2.       Specify the networks which you want to be routed through the VPN on
the "Policy" tab on your VPN connection's properties. You first will have to
uncheck "Obtain topology automatically or tunnel all". Afterwards, you can
specify the networks that should be routed through the VPN (example: network
10.0.0.0, netmask 255.0.0.0).

Unfortunately, this second solution does not seem to work anymore (which
might be the cause of your problem).

If it also does not work for you, you will have to set up split tunneling
manually by using a script which hast to be run with administrative
privileges. In that case, you can leave the option "obtain topology
automatically." checked.

This script uses an external configuration file, networks.txt, which simply
contains the networks to be accessed by VPN and their netmasks, each on one
line:

172.16.0.0   255.240.0.0

10.0.0.0    255.0.0.0

Here is the script:

@echo off

rem *****************************************

rem * Setup Split VPN /Split Tunnel         *

rem *****************************************

rem network definitions

set NWFILE=networks.txt

rem descriptions

set VPNDESC="Shrew Soft Virtual Adapter"

rem change this to the name of your network card as shown by ipconfig /all

set HOMEDESC="3Com EtherLink 10/100 PCI TX NIC (3C905B-TX) #2"

rem Get VPN Adapter IP Address and home gateway IP address

call :GetIF %VPNDESC% VPNIF

call :GetIP %VPNDESC% IP VPNIP

call :GetIF %HOMEDESC% HOMEIF

call :GetIP %HOMEDESC% gateway HOMEGW

rem reset default route

route delete 0.0.0.0

route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 %HOMEGW% IF %HOMEIF%

echo Gateway (Home) %HOMEGW%

echo Interface (Home) %HOMEIF%

echo IP-Adresse (VPN) %VPNIP%

echo Interface (VPN) %VPNIF%

rem add routes to VPN network

for /f "tokens=1-2 delims= " %%i in (%NWFILE%) do (

     route add %%i mask %%j %VPNIP% IF %VPNIF%

)

goto end

:GetIF

set IF=

setlocal enabledelayedexpansion

set description=%1

set adapterfound=false

for /f "usebackq tokens=1,* delims=." %%f in (`route print 0*^|findstr
/c:%description%`) do (

    set /a IF=%%f

)

(

  endlocal

  set "%2=%IF%"

)

exit /b

:GetIP

set IPADDR=

setlocal enabledelayedexpansion

set description=%1

set addrtype=%2

set adapterfound=false

for /f "usebackq tokens=1-2 delims=:" %%f in (`ipconfig /all`) do (

    echo %%g | findstr /c:%description% > nul

    if errorlevel 1 (

    ) else (

        set adapterfound=true

    )

    echo %%f | findstr "%addrtype%" > nul

    if errorlevel 1 (

        rem Not an IP address

    ) else (

       if !adapterfound!==true (

            set IPADDR=%%g

            set adapterfound=false

            )

       )

)

FOR /F "usebackq delims=(" %%i IN (`echo !IPADDR!`) DO (

    set IPADDR=%%i

)

(

    endlocal