[vpn-help] VPN Tunnel won't pass traffic

Gerd Röthig gerd.roethig at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 04:27:44 CDT 2013

Hello Scott,

have you tried to start the Shrew Soft VPN services only on demand and
shutting them down after you disconnected from the VPN? This solves a lot
of connectivity issues in the newer versions of the software.

To start the VPN services only on demand, you will at first have to shut
them down (may require administrative privileges):
net stop "ShrewSoft IKE Daemon"
net stop "ShrewSoft IPSEC Daemon"

Afterwards, set the start type for these services to "Manually" by
importing the following registry entries:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iked]
"Start"=dword:00000003

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ipsecd]
"Start"=dword:00000003

Now, the Shrew Soft VPN services are not started automatically upon system
boot any longer. You can now start them manually so that they run only if
needed.

To start the VPN services:

net start "ShrewSoft IKE Daemon"
net start "ShrewSoft IPSEC Daemon"

Using a script, you can then also bring up the VPN connection dialog:

%ProgramFiles%\ShrewSoft\VPN Client\ipsecc.exe -r NameOfYourConnection -u
YourUserName

The disconnect is then also done by the following commands:

taskkill /T /F /IM "ipsecc.exe"
net stop "ShrewSoft IKE Daemon"
net stop "ShrewSoft IPSEC Daemon"

This works for me without problems for more than a year now.

Kind regards,

Gerd