[vpn-help] No connect when configured for jumbo frames

Thomas Stokkeland thomas.stokkeland at mobileheartbeat.com
Fri Oct 25 13:18:41 CDT 2013

If you are not doing SAN stuff, or very large file transfers within the collision domain - enabling Jumbo is likely to cause a crappier performance than leaving it at the standard 1500MTU - because, the router or receiving device will tell the sender to fragment, your packet will be split in half, this retransmit attempt will happen several times till the MTU is met - then as the "knowledge" of this expires your device will have to do that over and over.. causing a ton of extra traffic on your network.. so, if you don't have a requirement to use large MTU, then turn it off - i suspect there are mechanisms in the vpn software that either ignores large packets (because they are not to be routed) or just can't handle fragmentation at that level