[vpn-help] VPN connection trouble from a linux Debian computer to a distant site

Jean-Pierre Rosey jean-pierre.rosey at comstbarth.fr
Wed Sep 18 10:20:39 CDT 2013

Hello,

I have problems getting a VPN connection working from a linux Debian
computer to a distant site

We have normally the same parameters with the Distant Site, as we have
shared the data

The configuration is the following:

-          Linux computer with a local IP address (192...), and a Virtual IP
address (172
., this is the one authorized to be connected on the distant
site)  ó Firewall Zyxel Zywall  (with rules created..)
..çè
.. Distant Site

When I try to connect to the VPN using Shrew soft client VPN, on the linux
Debian, I get to the “Tunnel enabled” state for a while, then I get the
message “gateway is not responding”
.

Looking at the debug log, I can see, among all the lines, “phase1 found”,
then “phase1 sa established”, then “phase2 not found”, then “recv X_SPDADD
message (failure errno = 17)”

Any ideas, of what could be the cause of my troubles ?...

If needed, I’ll try to post the logs

Thanks in advance for any help you could give me, as this is becoming an
urgent matter